Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gearing up for Christmas

I love Christmas.
I love the lights,
I love the fake sparkley snow.
I love the songs.
I love getting the family together.

 I always had Christmas at my grandma's house. We all crammed into the living room and opened armloads of presents and ate everything in sight.

Now that I'm an adult, I'm thinking more about money than giving joy.
It makes me feel so sad and selfish.

Everyone has excuses...

My check this period will be about half the size it normally is, due to shortened days and the inevitable cutting of hours. I'm so stressed out about who all I'm buying gifts for. I WANT to give everyone a gift. I just can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars right now.

My priorities are my own kids, and everyone, I'm sure, understands that.

I want to buy the 60 inch flat screen Wi-Fi TV that Roberto's been wanting for so long... but in reality, it's not going to happen. I want to buy a nice, new microwave for my mom, since I broke hers last year...

Because of the flood my broken washer unleashed on my house, I need to replace half the flooring in my living room and buy a new washing machine. I'll name it Noah, and there will be peace in my household.
My car has been in the shop for the past week, and I need to pay the mechanic today. I kind of wonder why, since I don't ever get to drive my own car.

I'm just broke.

My new favorite store is GoodWill.
I bought an expensive-looking blazer last week for $3. I also bought a purse for Allison for another $3. I think they're both brand new.
The past couple paychecks I've gone there and bought expensive-looking slacks and blouses for $8.50 for the set. I have a whole new mini-wardrobe that looks absolutely professional, and I've only spent $25 total on all my clothes.
I may take my sisters there for a little spree for Christmas. We all love thrift stores and great bargains. I'd rather get them a couple of outfits each than spend the money on a toy they'll just end up throwing away.

I'd like to make little gifts for everyone, so nobody gets left out.

Last year I made 100 angels out of rose petals and bottles of bubbles. The kids loved them, and I only spent $20ish on all the supplies. Everyone in my family got one, and I even had extras!

The year before that I bought 50 scratcher tickets for my family to share. One person won ten dollars and two got free tickets lol.

I remember my mom going to craft stores and making wreaths out of styrofoam rings and squares of fabric. They were beautiful. That was inexpensive.

I like the craft idea. Roberto, the kids, and myself need an activity to do together.
I'll just have to keep browsing for ideas.

...
I'm a bit scatter-brained today..

I can't remember my dreams that well either.


No comments:

Post a Comment